Center for Academic Excellence
We academic advisors assist with registration and academic planning, but we can also help with any of your questions about Truman, higher education, and the transition from high school to college and from college to the rest of your life.
We understand that your academic life isn’t separate from your family and social life, your campus living arrangements, your physical and psychological health, your spirituality, and your past experiences as a student. All of these factors connect and influence each other.
We focus on three things:
We advise all first year students (about 1300 total) as well as new transfers. We advise students of all majors.
We run a tutoring center staffed by the finest student tutors. Tutoring is available for most classes, and the best part is: it's completely free.
We regularly offer three courses:
- INDV 100 – The Truman Experience
- INDV 110 - Skills for Academic Success
- INDV 150 - Book and Discussion
Each of us manages unique responsibilities as well, such as:
- Advising pre-health professions students
- Serving on various university committees
- Running the tutoring center
- Running the Peer Mentor program
- Working with the SEE Program
- Acting as liaison to various academic departments
We're located on the first floor of Kirk Building.